Managing the PhD Process (including Managing Literature Review)
The process of obtaining a doctoral degree can be a difficult, long and lonely journey. It requires persistence and a plan to deal with resources, time and people. Having these skills will make your journey to a PhD less stressful and will guarantee that you will finish your thesis in good time.
The course is designed as a practical guide; it is conducted in a seminar style, with emphasis on experiential and peer learning. The course incorporates exercises and assignments that encourage students to individually reflect on and put into immediate practice what they learn.
- The nature of the PhD process
- Institutional environment and your obligations
- Managing your time
- Managing your supervisors
- Managing your thesis writing
- Managing life during the PhD (school-life balance; managing your studies as a female or part-time student; dealing with stress, frustration, etc.)
- Guide to grants, conferences and publishing in graduate school
- Managing your literature review (including using bibliographic managers e.g. Endnote, Mendeley)